Monday, February 7, 2011

The United Kingdom Explained

C. G. P. Grey created this helpful video and blog post explaining the differences between the terms United Kingdom, Great Britain, and England.



It's too bad he didn't cover the ISO codes, I tend to think of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales as being Great Britain because I usually see the ISO code we use for that market which is en-gb. The first part is the ISO 639-2 code for the English language. The second part is the ISO 3166 code for the United Kingdom. I'm not sure why gb was chosen instead of uk. The current set of codes does not use uk for any other country, though when I'm trying to guess the code for the Ukraine I almost always think it should be uk until I look it up and find that it is ua.

No comments:

Post a Comment