Thursday, October 14, 2010

Happy Birthday C++

Twenty-five years ago today the first reference guide for C++ was published. Wired has an interview with Bjarne Stroustrup to celebrate the occasion. C++ was the programming language I was taught in high school and was the first language I learned for programming a desktop computer. On an irrelevant tangent, the first programming language that I learned was UserRPL for the HP 48G calculator. I competed in UIL calculator competitions using the HP 32SII and became addicted to RPN making most other calculators unusable. That and my focus on engineering in college made the HP 48G a natural choice when I needed a graphing calculator. As it turns out, one of my first C++ programs was a simple calculator that accepted a postfix expression as input (much easier than processing infix expressions).

No comments:

Post a Comment